Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park - I

image
In the first Week of July – 2011, we went to Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park, in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA.

FMG Mission Statement:
To promote the enjoyment, understanding, and appreciation of gardens, sculpture, the natural environment, and the arts.

Our Visit
We went up with my Son and Daughter in law from Benton Harbour to this wonderful place. It’s about 1 1/2 hrs drive and it was well worth the Drive. The park is Michigan States second most visited attraction.
1 - Entrence Sculpture 
Here the first sculpture, at the Parking area. Se the two faces?
2 - Entrence 
The Entrence –let’s start the visit indoor enjoing the Tropical Flowers and Plants.
6 - Flowers Blue 
We were fascitaned by the blue colours here - Orhides
919 - Orchides 
Wonderful flowers and colours here as well – Orchides
914 - Pitcher Plant Red
In the tropical section you will find a subsection with Pitcher Plants. Very fascinating. Watch your fingers and nose;-)
915 - Pitcher Plants green and yellow
More Pitcher Plants – See how they trap insects below:

9 - Kjøttetende 
More Pitcher Plants – How do you grow them?
7 - Animals - inside 
There are sculptures among the plants as well
917 - Sausage Tree 916 - Sausage Tree
Click on the small photo to read about the Sausage Tree.

More to come from Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park,

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

That video was very interesting indeed. Water is the key to catching their prey. Cool. Well not for those ants.

I've never heard of a sausage tree before. At least you can make beer out of it so that's good.

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

August 31, 2011 5:19 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Thanks so much for these pictures!! I was in Grand Rapids the second weekend of June...there was no time for a visit to the gardens, I was jealous of one group doing it before going to the airport but I headed back to East Lansing!

August 31, 2011 5:42 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

W hat a fabulous place that is! Who dud that first Sculpture---it looks familiar to me, but I cannot think of the Artists name....
BEAUTIFUL Flowers! And I had a plant in my garden that attracted little living things like fly's and ants and such---But it smelled SOOOO Nad, I had to give it away....(lol)

August 31, 2011 10:00 pm  
Blogger Sandra Carlier said...

Sounds you had great time in Michigan with your son and DIL! My prefered flowers are the blue ones! But this other are fascinating! The sausage tree is very original!

September 01, 2011 9:57 pm  
Blogger Seraphinas Phantasie said...

Wonderful impressions from this Sculpture-Park. Beautiful photos.

September 02, 2011 6:05 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

that place looks so fun and delightful. Holding onto summer that much longer.. Ah, I love that! :) We are off soon to visit Grandma and Grandpa.. And soak up the sun!

September 02, 2011 7:02 pm  
Blogger La.. said...

Hi Tor! I have outstanding site to visit in Oslo. You know for me is my own personal paradise Oslo, I'm happy just to feel Oslo at my feet, walking through its streets, its smell. Oslo is a love for me, a love that will always better.
A big hug my friend

Maria

September 03, 2011 10:23 am  
Anonymous Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Fantastic place without doubt, so much to see, but you probably know which one is my favorite here? The sausage tree of course! *giggles*

September 07, 2011 10:35 pm  
Blogger lime said...

ah, there is a cranberry bog not too far from us where we can see pitcher plants in the wild. they are kind of fascinating things.

September 15, 2011 2:27 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home