Saturday, July 31, 2010

Shopping and eating in Istanbul


Istanbul do have a vast range of shops and bazars. The most famous is of course The Grand Bazaar (Kapalıçarşı, meaning Covered Bazaar)), which I wrote about in a former post. Other famous shopping areas are Nişantaşı and İstiklâl Cadessi on the European side. Here most tourists do their shopping.

Well there are alternatives
We did shop were the locals live on the Asian side: Bağdat Caddesi (Baghdad Avenue) in the suburb named Kadiköy and the district of Erenköy. Here you find all the famous international brands with their own shops as well as Turkish Brands. Just like in all major cities.
Trafikk - Asia 1 - C 
Follow the signs from the European side when you have cossed “Hasans bridge” (The Bosphoros Bridge - 1. Boğaziçi Köprüsü”) in the direction of  Kadiköy.
Erenköy  IMG_2903 Avenue
Bağdat Caddesi
is a one way drive from south to north. 
This is not what I had imagined an avenue in Istanbul…
Erenköy  IMG_2904 Sidewalk
Sidewalk at Bagdat Cadessi. Is this really Asia?Erenköy  IMG_2906 Crossing small street 
Ingelin and Anna crossing a small street. Marmara Sea at the end of the street.
Erenköy  IMG_2901 shopping 
The Ladies went shopping. Luckely for papa, they did find what they wanted in the same shop (Moda of Turkey). Papa and grandson had to wait for more than a hour. In between papa as well found some Jeans and T-Shirts;-) Guess the ladies were surprised…
Erenköy  IMG_2910 Lunchtime Erenköy  IMG_2912 Luch for ML and parents
Lunch at Midpoint - Erenköy - Istanbul Erenköy  IMG_2908 Water and fresh lemonade
Shopping also means: Time for Lunch. At least Metin Leander was hungry. Turkish food are delicous. And healthy as long as you stay away from Turkish Delights. LOL.

More food and other stories from Istanbul and Turkey to come…

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

Bwahahahahaha. The girls couldn't find what they wanted to buy but you did? That's rich. I love it.

Food...I'd love to try some Turkish food, but not the Turkish Delights.

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you both. :)

July 31, 2010 7:17 pm  
Anonymous Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

Sounds like interesting and successful shopping anyway. Is that Anna's new dress? It's simply beautiful. Very suitable for a beautiful woman like Anna :-)

July 31, 2010 11:21 pm  
Blogger Gattina said...

That's why I loved Istambul so much because it is so cosmopolite, international ! I will go back there that's for sure. For you it was even more interesting as you were not really a tourist !

August 01, 2010 7:14 am  
Anonymous Maribeth said...

Oh I love Istanbul for that very reason. And people were so very nice as well. Yes, the food is totally delicious!

August 01, 2010 12:45 pm  
Blogger Ola said...

Interesting, in my memories from my childhood Istabul is a city of jeans & cloths:) I love Turkish delights, too

August 03, 2010 8:59 am  
Anonymous claudie said...

You did a great job here Tor reporting Istanbul so well and now I want to go there!!!
I'm back from CDG airport were I went by train with Anaïs. So we had two days just for us! Now she's back in Finland. We rent a little appart for Mélissa in Aix en Provence so we will be a couple without any kids at home soon!!!
Can't wait the OBG! I will have a look for sweateries (I ned one in Paris) and of course little visits at good wine cellars!

August 03, 2010 9:35 pm  
Blogger Vagabonde said...

I enjoyed your tour of Istanbul. I went there with my mom when I was 5 years old. We stayed 4 months as we were bringing my grandma back to France and had to sell all her things. I don’t remember much but I do remember the bazaar with all the spices and lights. It must have changed in all these years – I would love to see it again.

August 03, 2010 11:03 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really wonderful reports from Istanbul:)We had a great time together! Now I want to go back there again. Hugs from Ingelin and Leander

August 06, 2010 11:19 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home