Thursday, April 15, 2010

European Capital of Culture RUHR.2010

Maundy Thursday we planned to go from Essen and visit Cologne. But, we were forced to change our plan, due to a severe accident on the Autobahn – A3 – which is the most circulated in Germany.

Insted we went here:
Kulturhovedstad 2010
Or more exactly here:
Zollverein - The nwe Ruhr Musuem
To the Zollverein colliery and coking Plant World Heritage Site close to Essen in Germany.
The Ruhr Museum opened on the 10th of January 2010, the official start of the programme of the European Capital of Culture RUHR.2010. 
Zollverein - Model
This is a model of the whole site. CLICK TO ENLARGE.Zollverein - from outside
Here you see it as is –it is hugeZollverein - Shaft XII and model
What’s here, we thought ---
 Zollverein - from outside
Well, we went closer---
Zollverein - Zeynep and Anna
OK –we found the Entrance – An escalotor that brougth us up “Sky High” up. Zeynep and Anna borh were in a very positvive and eager mind to what to find inside.
Zollverein - Sound sculpturs
Well, here you see Anna, She is standing upon a white spot.
The other visitor on another.  Why?
SOUND SCUPLTURES – Yeah. Anna listened to the Birds while the other Woman listened to Waterfalls.Zollverein - Exhibition
After all, we were here. See the constructions?Zollverien - as is
OK, I think You have a better idea when seeing this above.Zollverein 1
Now, here in this Museum you will find art, culture and history – even 300 millions years back. What you see above is simply a  a symbol af melting Iron down the Stairways.Zollverein - view from top
We went to the highest point of the Museum. Easter Look.Zollverein - old Railway Tracks
Just some facts:
See the old Railway Tracks?
I short: When Coal and minerals were discovered in the “Ruhr” inland area, they did have a great challenge:
How to transport to the markeds? Railways were build. But before thet:
Zollverein - waterlift
By Boats and constructing Channels and Locks, like you see a model over here.  A very special construction, no longer in use.But the Waterways and Channels was in fact a very important success factor for the success of the “Ruhr Gebiet” in Germany and in Europe as a whole.

Zollverien - Steamship model
Here you see a model of one of the first “Speed Boats”. One that could go up and down the river Rhein.  On the Channels, Horses were the main power to drive the boats, but on the great rivers upstream, some newer technologies were needed.

My friends, this was just a very short introduction to RUHR.20010. You might read more here and find out more about the Industrial Revolution.

PS. This is the first time ever, I do post from an application where I can write and post photos from my own computer without beeing on-line. I have noe ideas how this will end up, but I X my fingers when I hit the “Publish” symbol.

12 Comments:

Blogger Sandee said...

How fun. A huge history lesson if you will. I like history lessons.

Have a terrific day. Big hug to you and Anna. :)

April 15, 2010 12:17 am  
Blogger Maribeth said...

It came out wonderfully! What a wonderful Post!

April 15, 2010 12:34 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a trip, Tor....And your Post came out BEAUTIFULLY! This is an amazing Museum.
Sorry I haven't been here in a while---overwhelmed with personal things, my dear.

April 15, 2010 8:26 am  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

BINGO! You did it, Tor. See, we're never too old to learn new tricks. :D

April 15, 2010 2:02 pm  
Blogger x_pEpPeRoNi_x said...

That's quite new!

Looks really modern, and the architecture is nice as well.

Must be an interesting place to go to. So many things to learn about!

April 15, 2010 2:40 pm  
Anonymous Lifecruiser Travel Blog said...

That seem like an awesome place to explore, look so interesting, I mean sound sculptures and all! Just fab!

...and now you made me very curious of which application you're talking about here... hm... write me an email with the name thanks :-)

((Good night hugs from us two to both of you!))

April 15, 2010 11:42 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

What a unique structure there and I can see that you are all having fun :D

April 16, 2010 3:06 am  
Anonymous claudie said...

What a marvelous and modern museum! I learn now with you Essen is the European capitale 2010 (with pécs and Istanbul) and Marseille will the capitale in 2013!! Ce musée parait gigantesque!!! you are so lucky, Tor! Always by fly or on the roads on trip!!! this is the way of life I want in my near future!!! Oslo BG!!!

April 17, 2010 12:40 am  
Anonymous A. @ A Changing Life said...

So you see how well it worked! and never mind the technicalities, it's very, very interesting too. :)

April 18, 2010 2:13 pm  
Blogger Gattina said...

Very interesting, I am not sure if I have ever been there, maybe as a child.

April 22, 2010 5:44 pm  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for coming by Tor....And for your link to How Ro Blow Out Candles On A Cake...I had no idea that this riotual was so ancient..Pretty Amazing!
Hope all is well with you and Anna, my dear.

April 22, 2010 9:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loll - I love Ginnie's comment... And for me, I love the miniature models!

April 23, 2010 4:31 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home