Friday, August 17, 2007

Cybercruise - Dröbak - Southern Norway

A Journey out of the normal tourist path
We do not know exactly what the name Dröbak means. Most probably it is related to the Norwegian words, ‘Dröye bakker’ which literally means, long lasting hills, or hills that goes on forever, and in Dröbak there are many such hills.

If you really want to experience something different and excotic - then take your time to read a look. What is shown and written here is only a tenth of what this tiny Village/town offers of differences - Culture, Museums, History, Art, Entertainment, Music, Restaurants, Outdoor activities, Architecure, Beaches, Historical Monuments, Festivals and even Santa all year round

Why then go to Dröbak? A small town situated where the Oslo fjord is at he it's narrowst. Because our Captain Lifecruiser once have been there? Because I've been there? Because my grandma grew up there? No- no - no. Be patient.
This is the first warning you got:

If in doubt - yes - it is a warning Santa Claus is here. Let's find him. OK?
The hungry Captain asked for a short stop - at this small outdoor café. Long way down the endless hills you know. Hunger, she said, Stop.

Then, we continued walking - we had been warned: Santa is around...

What's written here? Welcome to the X-Mas House. Hmmm?

During Summer we refused to enter - only had a secret look.
I'm hungry, the Captain claimed - You know I've been in Dröbak before. Lets go here:

Yes, of course - it's just the neighbouring house - we went inside. Down to the Cellar Restaurant.
Had a wonderful early, but tiny lunch. And some refreshements.

Food gives courage to swallow more work and culture - remember we are walking. No tourist mini-trains or Rickshaws - only your own walking features. We would head for Santa's own Post Office. We aske for the direction


Butt, there was only one to ask, and he was very - not to say: stoned fishy - occupied. He gave us a hint, though....
Can it be here? Let's give it a try
Inside - what's there butt an old traditional Norse postman. (The one that looks like a Polar Bear)

I'm hungry - who else but our Captain gasped . . .
Well, it's time for lunch. Let's got to the "Jungletelegraph"

- What, I'm hungry %¤¤¤W#)?)&%.
- Listen, this is the old Telegraph building
- gggr, listen: I'm hungry
- Relaxe. You can have whatever you want here
- gggr I only want food
- .. in addition to food - the local jungle telegraph

After the Jungletelegraph and the giant elephant, or what ever we ate, we needed some excercise. Let's go down to the Sea - to the Oslofjord-
You, my reader - need a little pause - it's going to be more - close your eyes and feel the *sniff-sniff* from the Roses - and enjoy the "Stakitt fences".

First we headed towards the Main Street - We went in the wrong direction - hmmm - Might be we had a glimpse of Pink Elephants - *giggles*
Then down a small street
Oh, is it down here?
or down here?
Let's sit down and plan, while the hungry Captain can sit alone under the apple trees with her apple pie with cream and the first smell of salt sea. + +
Then suddenly - a harbour
Boats - close ups - wow - Fishing - rowing - or just a transport to a hidden Beach?
Who else but our Captain, once again, what can it be, is she a Cat or Dog - I'm hungry--- Then; I figured out, let's bring our Captain to a place that will keep her away fro hunger for a while:

The Worlds only Lutefisk Museum- Crazy Norse
OK, Captain - you need some more - (the hungry) more. We can have short visit here. *giggles* My fav spot of course.
The mermaids. I love them. Swim together with them and guinnc - qiunk and shhhs - with them.
I was obviously a suspect person of behaviour - See - the Coast Geard came and left. I'm was not aboard - had to think about our Captain - as youngman, you know.

The Mermaids use to serve me Fish here. Don't be jealouse when I say. Best servants a man can dream of.
Excuse me Captain - I can understand you went to Mono, when I had my time with the Mermaids.
OK Folks - Captain and Crew need some solitude.
Learn more about Dröbak - It's more than you can imagine.

Did you know that a 100 years ago, they (Dröbak) shipped more than 100.000 tons (metric) of natural ice to UK, Holland an other North Sea countries? That was before the time of fridges and freezers. They also exported timber, used for among others to the Dikes in Holland. And it was the Winter Harbour for the Capital of Norway (Oslo) - as the inner part of the fjord in earlier years were frozen for several months. The small town was considered a suburb to Oslo. Walk the memory lane here in English.

Hallo - nothing here from my grandmas house - nothing from the unique architecture; or from the dramatic WW II - etc. (The Nazi invation was postponed from here with the result the King and his family could escape - but about 1000 soldiers/mariners drowned in the cold seawater in the very early morning of April 9, 1940 - The navyship Blücher is still on the bottom of the fiord)

We are on a cruise. Thanks to Captain Lifecruiser.

It's a charming small town, with pittoresque wooden houses, special roof architecture, art galleries, pubs, cafes, restaurants, aquarium, lutefish museum, boats upon boats, beaches, parks, blues festival, jazz cruises, and the Oscarsborg Fortress with is dramatic history of war, The all year round open Christmas House and Santa Post Office.

Labels: , , , , ,

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I love this nice cruise stop where I didn't get to go around hungry with that hungry beast screaming most of the time (me - not Mr L ;-)

I hope EVERY cyber cruise host will remember this important stops from now on... *giggles*

OH, how different everything looks in the summertime! It was a lot of snow when I was there! Even the mermaids did freeze... *giggles*

It must be very odd though, to meet Santa in the middle of summer! Perhaps better, since he must be more relaxed then. Maybe you got favors for seeing him early? Hm.... *giggles*

Now I can go to bed and dream pleasant not being disturbed by my monster stomach....

Natti-natti ;-)

August 18, 2007 12:42 am  
Blogger TorAa said...

Natti - natti och god morron ---

Thanks for your nice comment - U got a warning - 'cause it took me sooooo looong time to upload. And I'm only near to half of what to present of that tiny hometown of my grandma - but that will be for another occassion - or in a Photo blog.

btw. U 2 know how to see Dröbak in the Summer - and where to stay.

August 18, 2007 1:00 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

Tor that was a very nice Cruise stop which I enjoyed with my first cup of coffee ! Didn't know that Father Christmas came from this town. I knew that he writes to children from Norway but not really more.
I am really worried about our Captain, even on her blog she is always hungry I am sure she houses a tapeworm ! and of course has to feed it. Don't forget to stop by guided tour through Eastbourne, Hastings and Hailsham !

PS. Bloogle Glogger's photo upload system is like a Formula 1 with snails !

August 18, 2007 7:35 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ahhhh... thank you so much for this excellent and fun cruise stop. I always dreamed of searching Santa Claus (since I was a little one).

I adore the "Warning sign" - my first thought was "Look - busy Santa reminds me a bit of a burglar..." D´OH! No more christmas presents for me *LOL*

The mermaids are soooo beautiful - I´d love to see them in 3D someday.

Really enjoyed cruising to Drøbak... I ate as much as the Captain did (Hooray for apple pie) - but sssssshhhhh... don´t tell... it´s a secret =)

Can´t say I´m a greedy pig cause this would involve the Captain and her eating habits. The result might be: No more christmas presents because I compared Santa with a burglar and a not-so-nice hop over the plank for "that-which-must-not-be-named".
Can´t risk this =)

Takk!

August 18, 2007 9:19 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

What a beautiful place Toraa and equally fascinating too the Norse Postman :D Very cute & adorable.

August 18, 2007 9:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely guided tour around in Drøbak Tor! Shameless to say: I've never been there:-( even if it's rather close to where we live - thanks for taking me with then!

Good to know our captain got some food after all and I do hope she liked the lutefisk LoL (thanks for plugging me!)

We're back in Sweden this weekend - going down the memory lane from this summer and your visit - unforgettable:-)

August 18, 2007 10:32 am  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

So...you searched for Santa Claus at the wrong time of the year! Poor Captain Lifecruiser...she sounded as if she was starving!

That was a lovely visit, Tor, and so many photos...I loved the pretty harbour with all the boats and the little street.

Wonderful fairyland post!

August 18, 2007 10:35 am  
Blogger A. said...

Wonderful post Tor. I'm just a bit worried about the mermaids and what it is you do with them....

August 18, 2007 2:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a funny post! I'm sure the Captain took a good time in Dröbak in the best restaurants tasting norwegian specialities!!! And father Christmas!!! I didn't know he was here too! French people think he's only in Rovaniemi!!
I adore the harbour as always I love the atmosher of the sea and ships. As usually, when we visit a place I will take a time to see all! Perhaps Santa Claus will accept to be my partner just on a christmas song!

August 18, 2007 3:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogger seem to have all sorts of problems nowadays. I don't like Blogger. It's a pity that wordpress.com don't seem to be able to get people to move over to them more than they do.

I'm gonna bribe that mermaids to tell us what that guinnc - qiunk and shhhs means that you do with them... *giggles*

Now, what to bribe mermaids with.... hm....

*deep wrinkles my forehead*

August 18, 2007 3:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and you're so generous Tor - you'll never know when we're accepting that invitation. It's a pity that we have some important issues to deal with at home for a while... *bummer*

August 18, 2007 3:38 pm  
Blogger MaR said...

Oh, what a wonderful tour, TorAa, such a magical place!! love your pictures.
You had such a hard time with the hungry captain, maybe we should pack a lunch for her every time we go out just in case!!
And I am herewith formally applying to get one of those fab postcards to add to my collection (keeping fingers crossed so my name will be drawn!!)

August 18, 2007 4:24 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now I want my cup of coffee. And what a beautiful beautiful tour!!!

Oh this is a place to visit, there's so much beauty here!

August 18, 2007 9:43 pm  
Blogger Melli said...

Ohhhhhhhhh GOOD! I am sO glad to have finally gotten started on my Christmas shopping! And dropped my letter to Santa in the post office too ... Should get there PLENTY early this year... Can't WAIT for him to put that BOAT over at Captain's place in MY stocking! The WHITE one, ya know!?

Thanks Tor! This was GREAT fun! And I think I walked off a few pounds too - going up and down all those hills!

August 19, 2007 12:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm so late but I couldn't get your site to load for some reason. I love those Santa signs and I totally wouldn't have resisted the Christmas shop.

August 19, 2007 3:47 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just saw a show on stamps a little bit ago. What a coincidence. I love stamps especially from where Santa Claus lives! I've been looking at your post since yesterday between the kids' activities, and I finally get a chance to comment. What a magical and fun post!!! :-)

August 19, 2007 5:11 pm  
Blogger eastcoastlife said...

Oooo.... Santa Claus Town!!!! Where's Santa without his winter clothings?

That was a fabulous tour! I love it. I hope to visit Santa one day. I've been good. :)

August 19, 2007 7:09 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Another wonderful stop on our cruise, and postcards from cruise destinations are always welcome! You must remember to pack a sandwich for your Capttain, it's no fun to travel with someone who is hungry!

August 20, 2007 2:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG!What a breath taking pictures/sceneries!!i really admire the shops and the architecture in your place,Tor!and youre a very good guide and cyber cruiser.I felt I was with you along your stops.

have a nice weekend btw!!

ghee

April 26, 2008 4:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog today it's wonderful. I just reading this blog nice very nice. Thanks for your nice comment. What a lovely guided tour around in drøbak tor. I love the cybercruise and lutefisk museum. This is a wonderful post tor.

March 18, 2009 1:36 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

March 15, 2010 9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home