Thursday, April 12, 2007

Papa goes travelling

What could be more exiting in early April than going from Oslo down to Nice and visit a good friend? My B-day present this year.

I woke up at 5:45 am. Had a tiny breakfast. Shaving and shower. Checked my luggage. And my hand-luggage, according to new security rules? Yes, everything OK. Anna got her morning kiss and hug. Went to the garage and picked up the car at 6:45 am. Check in time 7:50 am. Estimated driving time: 45 minutes. I had determined to go to the airport by car, due to the very late return, around midnight Sunday/Monday.

1) What a mistake. Early morning rush hours from south of Oslo, via Oslo before heading for the airport north east. Hahaha. Papa is naiv and stupid. He calls himself Optimist. Doesn't help all the time. Can't mention what speed on the highway was needed... Arrived at the Airport Parking at 7:55 am.

2) Self- check-in. Easy and fast.
- Do you bring any luggage (except hand-luggage)?
- yes, I pressed
- You are to late for your flight

3) What to do? Take the next flight? With a non refundable ticket?
4) I ran to the SAS Braathens info center. Told them what was up. They checked.
- Yes, sorry, your trunck is to big as handluggage.
- Can I check it in for the next flight?
- No, security rules you know (What about luggage that are missed and travel alone after you?)
- What will you suggest?
5) - Is there anything you MUST bring with you?
- No, really not, I can buy those thing I need for 5 days---
6) - Then I suggest, oh, you have only 8 minutes to Gate closed, if you run down one stair to the "concierge" and leave your luggage there, and pick it up when you return... well that's the only chance you have to reach this flight...
7) - Down where? To the left... ok, thanks; I was on the run.

8) ---- To make a dramatic story short (security check, you might have heard about...)
One minute after Gate Closed, I arrived, inserted my credit-card in the slot and said:
9) - God morning, sorry I'm late. Just had to park my luggage..
- What? Parked you luggage. Here on the Airport? You are not supposed to or allowed to do that!!
10) That was the attention I needed. Luggage. Placed on the airport. Owner ran away from it.
- Take it easy, It's safe with the Concierge.

11) Then the Gate was opened and I arrived at Nice Côte d'Azure at Schedule.

So now I'm here with my good old friend Hakon. We will blog from here (if Tele2 allows us to - by being a normal internet, secure and stabel provider).12) Hakon at lunch on Wednesday. Just after my arrival
13) View from his garden. Same bush and white flowers below.

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Wow, that was a stressful start to your birthday trip Tor. I'm glad you eventually managed to get on a plane.

I hope you have a wonderful time in Nice...sounds fabulous, actually.

More photos, please.

April 13, 2007 2:43 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds soooo nice since I always wanted to travel to Nice.

Anyway hope you have a fab time there!

April 13, 2007 3:02 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*whistles* What a wonderful trip! Oh, I wanna be there in the sun too!

Have FUN :-)

April 13, 2007 3:05 am  
Blogger lime said...

oh my what an adventure just at the airport!

how is your back doing?

have a good visit.

April 13, 2007 4:27 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

What a story ! I suppose that you dropped half dead in your seat in the plane ! But finally it was worthwhile according to the pictures ! must be a big change for you !
BTW Mr. Gattino also had his birthday yesterday ! Isn't that funny ?

April 13, 2007 6:05 am  
Blogger Joy Des Jardins said...

It sounds like you'll have a wonderful trip Tor...even though it started out a little shaky. I'm not in love with the whole airport thing...never have been. I just got back from 10 days in the Boston area...visiting my daughter and grandchildren. The airport wan't bad...I just tolerate it. Since I doubt that I'll ever make it to Nice....enjoy it for me too Tor.

April 13, 2007 7:22 am  
Blogger Gattina said...

I choose you for the "Thinking Award". It's on my blog.

April 13, 2007 12:57 pm  
Blogger RennyBA said...

What a challenge to get it your way Tor - I'm glad you manage at last!

Give my regards to Håkon as we at least are mailfriends and he is a real good man:-)

April 13, 2007 2:45 pm  
Blogger Shammickite said...

There's nothing like being late for a flight to make your heart beat a little faster! And I'm sure having to leave your luggage behind at the airport made you day!!! Say hello to Hakon from me in Canada.... I think you had a King with the same name years ago???
Enjoy the sunshine. I have woken up to SNOW this morning!

April 13, 2007 3:04 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tor, I am so glad that you made it safely to Nice to visit with your friend. What a difficult start to your trip. I hope the rest of it is smooth and very enjoyable.

April 13, 2007 11:16 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

WOAH! Such a thrill - thanks for sharing, Tor. I thought I was the only one who has such experiences until I read yours.

Have a great time in beautiful Nice - enjoy your shopping-for-five-days-trip and your time with Hakon (Hi, Hakon! Nice to "meet" you!)

April 13, 2007 11:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tor!!you`re out of town!!wow!im glad that our back is okay now.i came here once and left u a message,but i think it wasnt accepted..anyhow,wish you enjoy ur days with ur friend :)

have a nice weekend!!

btw,i tagged you.my first time to tag u right?and its good that ur calling urself "papae ".,coz the tag is related bout that :)

regards!!
hugs from japan!
ghee

April 14, 2007 12:33 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home