Saturday, January 27, 2007

Mystery in the Church

The Embriodery Code

Earlier this week I posted a Photo of a Cloth with embriodery (at Fotothing). - In fact an Altar Cloth.

Picture text:
Embriodery found in a Norwegian West Coast Church (Giske), build in 1150 by Marbel from Italy. You see the age of the embriodery on the cloth.


Next morning I received the following comment:

From: senna3 Jan 25 2007 08:39 GMT
I like such pictures very much. You managed to get a very clear and sharp result! What does HOSBACDB mean? Click for larger views

Here is my answer:
From: taaboe Jan 25 2007 00:42 GMT
Thank you so much. It was hard to take this picture, as it's not allowed to use flash, and besides it's very gloomy inside the Church (made from Marmor brought from Italy more than 700 hundred years ago- by a private family;D)
Note: I was wrong about the age of the Church

I checked the commenters profile, and found out he is a Dutch retiree. With other words, I figured, a person serious about the question. As I did not have the answer to this ”Giske-code”, I searched the Net (What else ;D). Finnaly I came across an e-mail adress and explained the Issue by mail. Clicked SEND and crossed my fingers. It was a Hotmail-adress, so I was not very optimistic (not me normally) to receive a quick answer.

But how wrong can one be. When back from work: A replay to my e-mail in the Mail-box.

Opened that one first (of more than 35 incoming mails – even before those from my regular readers).
I was quite anxious – Would I find the answer. Read for yourself (translated to English)

Quotation:
Hey,
It’s been uncertain about this cloth, but in the local historybook ”Borgund and Giske”, I do find a possible version:
The cloth is made by a young girl. Her name was Karen Breier. What you are asking for should according to what I read might be the initials of her parents: HOSB = Hans Olufsen Breier (1623-1704). He was vicar in Aukra and Dean in Romsdal. And his wife, ACDB = Anne Christensdatter Bernhoft (1624 – 1705)
Regards
Inger Magelssen Godø

Hurray, the code was cracket. HOSB on the left side was the young Embroidist’s father’s initials and ACDB on the right side, her mother’s. Then I posted a replay to the Dutchman.

Some facts about Giske Church and the Surroundings:

Findings in Graves and other Relics of the past, tells us about Settlements 8000 years ago in this Archipelago of the Norwegian Westh Coast. Fishing and Farming was the foundation for the development of these old settlements.

Fishing is still important.
You can rent a Rorbu here at Alnes

The Church was build around 1150 as a private chapel for the powerful Noble Family Arnunge, and is the only Marbel Church left in Norway. The Marble Blocks were transported on ships all the way from Italy in the 12th Century, and payed by the family. The Arnunge family was second to the King in the Middle Age Norway.
Due to the fact, Marble is not sustainable to the Climate on the Islands, the church’s outer Walls now are covered by Mortar. More pics and text (Norw)

Excellent guidance in English during Summermonths. So if you’re around, have a visit to the Church and to the Lighthouse on the Neighbouring Island plus the ancient fishing harbour close to Alnes Lighthouse. If you would like to swim westbound, next stop is Greenland.

Go to this Norwegian blog for lots of gorgeous pic's from the area. Here is more information in English.

Most people goes back to Aalesund, a Town completely rebuild in Art Nouvau (Jugend) after the Townfire a January Winternight in 1904.You can also visit the North Sea Oceanpark with a.o. a large Aquarium.

Greetings from Anna and Tor + Rosa and Felicia. Have a Joyful Sunday:-)

In the meantime listen to Ruth. It's great Lyrics, song and melody for your soul

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi TorAa

What fabulous pictures. I love the old altar cloth and the explanation of the "word" embroidered on it.

Thank you for a really interesting post.

Hope you, Anna and the cats had a lovely relaxing Sunday...I did!

January 28, 2007 9:06 am  
Blogger Shionge said...

Oh Wow Toraa...I am overwhelmed! Thank you for such detailed information. I would love to visit Norway someday.

Hey Toraa...I watched a TV program last night about one Chinese Restaurant in Norway. The owner went over to Norway and started his business there and hey....he said that people from Norway are so happy and friendly :D Just a relax pace to live there, I love this program!

January 28, 2007 10:10 am  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

Another fabulous post, Tor, and thanks so much for adding the link to Ruth's VERY SOULFUL poem and song. I am very impressed!

Have a lovely Sunday...what's left of it for you. :)

And what a very special code to break. You did good!

January 28, 2007 2:41 pm  
Blogger Gattina said...

That was really very interesting ! I have always loved all country's history and I think that was about the only lesson at school I didn't sleep through. Have you every been on my travel blog "countries & cities"? it's from this blog I knew Reny, because he had commented on it.

January 28, 2007 4:27 pm  
Blogger Nadine said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had to check yours out and I loved the pictures. I enjoyed your blog.

January 29, 2007 2:44 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tor, you have some wonderful photos here! I really like the lighthouse.

January 29, 2007 4:21 am  
Blogger Shammickite said...

Your research paid off and you were able to inform your Dutch friend of the history of the Altar Cloth! Well done!

January 29, 2007 4:47 am  
Blogger RennyBA said...

What a great read about Norwegian history and what a coinsedent as I posted about the Norwegian stave church last night too:-)
Wishing you a great week ahead!

January 29, 2007 9:57 am  
Blogger ShadowFalcon said...

A mate of mine is from Bergen and always makes me jelous with his picks of Norway, now your making me jelous too!

January 29, 2007 11:32 am  
Blogger lime said...

how wonderful. such ancient things are just a marvel and awonder. so glad you shared them, and dug a little deeper for that answer.

January 29, 2007 1:56 pm  
Blogger mae said...

What a really interesting post. I too, like the embroidered cloth. To find out the history of it is so amazing.

January 29, 2007 4:54 pm  
Blogger Raquel said...

Hi Tor, great photos again! What a nice and brief explanation of all the places.

January 29, 2007 4:56 pm  
Blogger Mother of Invention said...

I love the "oldness" of Norway, the buildings especially.

Thanks for the plug and thanks for taking the time to listen and do this!

Thanks to Ginnie! (I left a comment on her site and mine!)

January 29, 2007 6:29 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely post. I love to read posts like this, it's like travelling :-)

And there even was a mystery that got solved.I would love to visit the lighthouse and the jugend town too!!!

Simply great :-)

January 30, 2007 1:02 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home