Thursday, December 21, 2006

Yulebaking – Julebakst

A Family Tradition

Can’t really believe it. It’s more than a week ago I picked up my Son and his son, my grandson, Sebastian at the Gym where the latter play ”football” or ”soccer” every Tuesday afternoon. Seb do that once a week, even though he is 5. They really play. Running after the Ball and try to hit as often as possible. No serious Match, but they feel social and have fun.

’cause of the traficjam, I arrived some minutes late; and guess: They allready have eaten their hot dogs.

It was 3 of them. For the first time, Niklas’ (37) new ”girl” friend, M, would join us to our Winterhome to do the ”julebakst” – making Christmas cakes.

In Norway, Christmas cakes is an old tradition: It makes seven different types to keep the tradtion living. All dry. We cheat these days. Can easely buy them, but that is not the same as making them together all family around the working bench and oven.

Ingelin building the Gingerhouse

We planned for 3 only. This particular Tuesday. Conclussion: We too cheat. But at the end of the Day: We allow us time to do some baking together. What a wonderful feeling.

Back to reality:
Anna, the teacher and my wife, called me on my cellphone and asked when we would arrive.

Why? I asked.

I’m so tired. Had a hard day at school. She said. Need a rest.

Well, I’m half an hour late, so just take your nap.

Thus, I drived without hurry back home. It’s 15 km (nearly 10 miles) out of Town. In rush-hour.

The other two ”bakers” were also late. My X ’cause she felt asleep after her work in the Kindergarden, and Ingelin, just arriving from Miami the very same late morning, didn’t push.

That was a perfect unplanned happening.


But Anna and I had planned the Evening before. Done the dough and peeled the amonds.

We started we Soup. Need some energy to hard work, you know.

And in a couple of hours we did ”Tablepiles” (bordstabels) and ”amondmacrones” (mandelmakroner) and a gingersnaphouse (very wired and moderen as you can see from the picture). – FYI: My brother loves to bake, and he’ll bring what’s missing.


All well done before 9:30 pm. I drove them all home. Solvi got her share of the evenings baking, as we will be at her place First Christmas Day. And Ingelin felt asleep in the Car; hadn’t slept for 34 hours.

Finally I brought our two Cats, Rosa and Felicia, back home after another week with Cousin Stompa. Oh, that charming creatures.

What a wonderful world – if you really want to.


B4P. (blog for peace)

PS. We were not able to use all the Amonds. But Anna did make Marzipanballs in all colours, when RennyBA and the others in our network group’s steering comittee (The Norwegian IT Federation – Mangement and Strategy Group) had our yearly Christmas Dinner. Revealed for the whole World.

Whatever God you might believe in: Bless You.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hei Tor!
I envy you and your family! I wish I could bake. So, I have to buy all the christmas cookies for the kids. It is a very good traditon and I hate to break it...

December 22, 2006 9:29 am  
Blogger RennyBA said...

How lovely of you to share the family Christmas cake baking traditions. I felt almost like home in the good old times.
Your Pekkerkakehus (ginger bred house) look just like mine!!
From all of me to all of you; A Very Marry Christmas:-)

December 22, 2006 10:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great scene,Toraa!
a family altogether making cakes and everything.I almost felt the warmth in your home :)

can i have a bite of the cake?they look yummy :)

Merry Christmas,Toraa!!

December 22, 2006 5:11 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

This is so awesome - What a teamwork! Can't imagine the effort there and it looks too lovely to eat at the end of the day :D

Merry Christmas Pal!

December 22, 2006 6:12 pm  
Blogger Raquel said...

Hi Tor,

What a nice & lovely family you have, all of you there are happy and having fun making the cake. I bet, the cake taste good, huh!

Merry Christmas to you Tor and all your family.

December 23, 2006 11:54 am  
Blogger OldLady Of The Hills said...

This looks fantastic....ALL that baking...and I bet itis all delicious! I wish I could taste everything you all made...

A Very Merry Christmas to you! Hope this Holiday is filled with Joy and I know already there will be good food! (lol)

December 23, 2006 7:45 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

God Jul til deg og familien din! :)

December 24, 2006 12:59 pm  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

This is so very wonderful, Tor, and what the Christmas season is all about. Thanks for sharing your beautiful family time!

Merry Christmas to one and all!

December 25, 2006 4:47 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

Happy Holiday Toraa :D

Cheers!
Shionge
26 Dec 2006

December 26, 2006 3:52 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Jul! What a cozy and lovely way to spend time together with your family. How special that they all got to come in to make the cakes. I hope they were delicious and your family had a very blessed day together.

December 28, 2006 12:19 am  
Blogger TorAa said...

@All of you: Thanks for the Christmas Greetings. The cakes tastes great, just pop in and have a bite.

PS. Still waiting for my broadband at home.

December 28, 2006 12:44 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the marzipan! It's my favorite. That looks like so much fun. I wish we would do that here, but maybe next eyar I will get p to try.

December 31, 2006 2:11 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home