Thursday, December 14, 2006

Weekend with Blogfriend RennyBA

First meeting and first Leg: Oslo - Karlstad

Firstly we planned to pick up RennyBA and Diane outside his office in downtown Oslo.

But, RennyBA and I agreed upon it would be better if I picked them up at our local railway station, close to the activity farm, Friday afternoon. Then we could avoid the bump-bump traffic out from downtown Oslo.
We two, known each other for years, were anxious how our wifes would function together. Diane from Up-state New York and Anna from Odalen a layed backed district, 80 km east of Oslo.
First time meeting: Hugs. Then, they sat together in the backseat of my car, chatting as they allways had known each other. Both Renny and I suspected that to happen. Dreams came true.

From Oslo to Mariestad it’s 350 km to drive. In December the sun goes down before 3:30 pm. We met at 3:55.

I must admit, I would have refused to take this ride, if it was not with RennyBA. In the darkness, rain, all coalblack roads, trailers, dirt, lights hitting just in my eyes nearly blindfolded me.

RennyBA had told me of their habits: They allways stops in Karlstad, after some 2:30 hours drive, to do their shopping. So did we this Friday, luckely no rain then.

Off we went. Firstly to Systembolaget. That is the Swedish answer to the Norwegian Vinmonopolet. Norwegians ”love” the Swedish one ’cause of the lower prices (exception is high quality wines and sparkling wine). And RennyBA, he knew exactly where to go, while I had to study where to find my White Wines of preference. The selection in Norway and Sweden are somewhat different. When on tour, we usually buy BiB, Bag in Box. The quality of BiB-wines have for the past years come to a acceptable quality. And I bought a couple of bottles with screw-tap, which is very practical when you have no room for ”standing” bottles in your fridge.

We had our charriots well filled up with wine and ”avec’s”.

Neighbouring Systembolaget is a large supermarket. Time for food. And for bringing low priced ”stuff” back to Norway.Diane and Anna - Shopping is fun

Anna and I were in this large shop for the first time. While Diane and Renny did know exactly where to go and pick up the goods, Anna and I were afraid of beeing lost. Then I come to think about: We’re driving in my car. Puh. Saved. And it felt very well to go around the shop with Renny and Diana and discuss what we needed for the weekend and with Anna what to bring back to Norway. Besides, no secret that, I need a little rest from driving in the dark and rain.Packing with a smile

We shopped vegetables, fruit, milk, juice, cream, egg, butter, margarin, bread, cheese, water etc.
Renny pays with a smile
Then payed with Visa-Card and stowed it all into the car. On the road again in the Darkness.

Stay tuned, more to come.

PS. If you have problems to comment this post, you must sign into comments as "Other", then write your e-mail adress and your URL. (Or as Anonymous)

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wonderful that your two wives hit it off, as we like to say, and became fast friends.

I will never complain again about the sun going down at 5 o'clock in the evenening in Decmeber now that I hear how early the sun goes down there.

I like to buy the screw top wines now. They have put many of the better quality wines that way, much to my relief.

A very good story about a very good time with friends.

December 14, 2006 6:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the sunset,ban i have a copy of it?er,i`ve downloaded it already,i might use it in the future.thanx!

nice to see your wives shopping :)and Renny paid the bill with all smile :)
thanx for sharing :)

December 15, 2006 8:50 am  
Blogger Raquel said...

Wow, what a nice captured of the sunset..I downloaded also, I might to use this in some other things.

Thank you for sharing these photos TorAa, all of them are lovely.

Raquel

December 15, 2006 4:23 pm  
Blogger Raquel said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

December 15, 2006 4:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are welcome to use my sunset pic (not to sell).

And, the Beta makes me crazy. I couldn't even use my own account, commenting on my own posting. Crazy!!!

December 15, 2006 4:35 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the most important stop. I've never stopped in the central Karlstad myself, despit the fact that my best friend now lives (temporarily) not far from there.

We did pass there once when we were on our way to Norway 2004 though! We went to good friends in Dröbak and a shorter visit to Oslo too.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leave a very kind comment :-)

Don't forget to come back for the party!

Everyone is welcome :-)

December 15, 2006 5:25 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and I've linked to you (under A-Swab Team in my sidebar) to come back later and check up your other posts :-)

December 15, 2006 5:27 pm  
Blogger Shionge said...

Hiya Toraa, greetings from Singapore and I want to thank you for coming by at my blog. Truly appreciate it!

I think this is so awesome to spend quality time with friends and hey it's great to know that all of you bonded so well :D

December 15, 2006 6:37 pm  
Blogger Ginnie Hart said...

I have LOVED the running commentary of your get-together, from both you and Renny. What a great time you had and everyone got along so well. And finally, Tor, I am adding your site to my sidebar!

For some reasom, I did NOT have to do anything to get to comments this time around. Maybe Blogger has fixed it???

December 16, 2006 3:56 pm  
Blogger RennyBA said...

We surly had a good time Tor and I am also glad that our wifes got along so well. Your car is luxurious and you are an excellent driver!

Hope we can do this again sometimes as this trip was a thrill money can't bye!

Btw: I think blogger beta corporate well for comments again and I am sooooo glad!

December 17, 2006 12:48 am  
Blogger Lynn said...

Between your blog and RennyBa's blog we really get a good picture of what you all were up to. It looks like a fun time!

December 17, 2006 3:13 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh! You shopped with sir Renny? Great!

December 17, 2006 6:14 pm  
Blogger TorAa said...

@Mrs lifecruiser: Drøbak, my grandmother was born there, and I have my summerhouse on the other side of Oslofjorden. And thanks for adding me.
@estupidormitorian: Tes, I shopped with Renny
@:Lynn: Yes we had a very time together
@Ginnie: It's an honour to be added to your sidebar.
@Shionge: Yez, it was amazing how well everything passed on.
@Renny: Can't believe it: A week has passed, and I still are sp greatful you invited us. Hugs from Anna as well.

December 18, 2006 4:21 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now my only question is, how much cheaper is everything in sweden compared to norway?

December 18, 2006 7:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ET: That depends. Meat generally cheaper, white meat (chicken) 50%, some cheese (imported from Poland etc) 50%, wines 45% to more expensive. Sweets 30-50%. Pasta: 30-50%. Rice + 40%. Electronics: Equal. Clothes: Equal. Furniture: In general cheaper. Car service and reparation 40-60%. Tobacco: 50%. Imported soft drinks and light beer: 30-40%. Diary products more or less the same. Vegetables as well. Fish and shellfish normally more expensive. Puh, what a list.

December 19, 2006 11:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanx for allowing me to have the pic,Toraa..

i loved Beta,you`ll get used to it.
at first,just use "other" to comment.

Happy Holidays,Toraa!! :)

December 20, 2006 4:01 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home